Summer’s a glorious time to get married, but there’s that one little challenge of how the heat can cause your perfect wedding makeup to melt right off. No worries, though: I just got some pro tips for making your makeup beat the heat from celebrity makeup artist Nick Barose, who’s uniquely qualified to be giving this advice. “Growing up in Thailand, it was hot all the time, but women there still manage to look polished and elegant,” he says. Here are some of their secrets:
1. Don’t be on moisturizer autopilot. Moisturizer overkill can lead to greasy makeup meltdown when it’s steamy outside and you’re sweating. “If your skin doesn’t feel dry in this heat, then don’t put moisturizer on, or use less and focus on the places you really need it, like dry spots and smile lines,” Nick says. (Eye cream is a must though.) You could also switch to a lightweight gel moisturizer, like La Mer Gel or Koh Gen Do All in One Moisture Gel.
2. Upgrade to sweatproof concealer. Nick loves Lancome’s waterproof concealer because it’s also really natural-looking.
3. Avoid heavy-handed foundation. “I love using a dampened BeautyBlender sponge to apply liquid foundation,” says Nick; Dolce & Gabbana Matte Foundation is his summer fave. “The wetness of the sponge make it easier to spread a small amount of product, so you get a sheerer yet polished look on the skin.”
4. Nix highlighter. To cut back on greasiness, “skip highlighter, especially cream or liquid ones,” says Nick. You’re going to get a little misty and gleam-y anyway. “If you want a bit more glow, then go with a powder formula that has subtle sheen, and skip large areas like the apples of your cheeks, or areas that will get shiny anyway, like the bridge of your nose.”
5. Get a super-long-wearing eyeliner. “I swear by Armani Eyes to Kill Waterproof Eyeliner, and I used it on my sisters in Thailand before, in our hottest month in April, our summer, and no panda eyes.”
Summer brides, what wedding hair and makeup tricks will you be using to avoid meltdowns?